Food To Help Lower High Cholesterol Did You Know?
- Women over age twenty should have their cholesterol checked by their doctor.
- Women over the age of fifty-five tend to have higher cholesterol levels than men.
- High cholesterol can increase your chance of having heart disease.
What Is Cholesterol?
Cholesterol is a fat-like material in your blood. Your body makes its own cholesterol. When you eat foods that have lots of fat or cholesterol, you can have too much cholesterol in your blood.
Cholesterol can build up on the inside of the blood vessels of your heart. If too much cholesterol builds up, then the blood cannot flow through to your heart. This can cause a heart attack. Food To Help Lower High Cholesterol.
Not ali cholesterol in your blood is bad for you. There are three kinds of blood cholesterol that you should know about: high-density lipoprotein (HDL, or good cholesterol), low-density lipoprotein (LDL, or bad cholesterol), and triglycerides.
Food To Help Lower High Cholesterol What Can You Do?
There are things that you can do to lower your cholesterol:
Cut back on foods with lots of fat such as fatty meats, fried foods, whole milk, fatty cheeses, butter, margarine, oils, lard, and creams. Food To Help Lower High Cholesterol.
- Cut back on food with lots of cholesterol, such as egg yolks and whole
- Eat more fruits and vegetables.
- Cut back on fatty snacks and desserts, such as candy, cookies, doughnuts, muffins, pastries, and
- Exercise at least thirty minutes most
- If you are overweight, try to lose Try to lose weight by cutting back on the amount that you eat. Even a small amount of weight loss can help lower your bad cholesterol, and you will also help your health in other ways.
- Ask your doctor if you need to take medicine to help lower your cholesterol. Triglycerides are another form of fat in your blood. They can also raise your risk for heart disease. Levels that are borderline high (150-99 mg/dL) or high (200 mg/dL or more) may need treatment.
Most people do not have any signs. Sometimes cholesterol can build up in the blood vessels of your heart and cause chest pains.
How Do You Find Out If You Have High Cholesterol?
Food To Help Lower High Cholesterol. Go to the doctor and ask for a cholesterol test. The test will let you know how much good and bad cholesterol you have. The doctor will teli you the number for your total cholesterol level. Your total cholesterol number should be under 200.
Good cholesterol is called HOL.
Helps to keep the arteries from clogging up.
Protects against heart disease. Good !eve! = 60 mg/dL or more.
Bad cholesterol is called LDL.
Causes buildup in your arteries and causes blockage of your arteries. Causes heart disease.
Good level = under 100 mg/dL.